The Next ASLC Meeting is:
April 24, 2015 @ 7:30 pm
Location: Dona Ana Community College
Room 141 (map)
Contact the Club President for additional information
Upcoming Observing Opportunities:
(Int'l Delights Cafe)
Sat, March 28th (dusk)
Dark Sky Observing @ Leasburg Dam SP
(ASLC Observatory at LDSP)
Saturday, April 11th (8:00 pm - 9:30 pm)
Greetings from the professional and amateur astronomers who comprise the Astronomical Society of Las Cruces (ASLC). The club was formed in 1951 by a group of dedicated astronomers including Clyde Tombaugh, who had discovered Pluto just 21 years earlier. For over 60 years, we've been sharing a little bit of the universe with our community under our beautiful Southern New Mexico skies.
The club has a variety of ongoing observing, education and public outreach programs. We host a public Moongaze each month, offer beginning astronomy courses and support countless star parties for schools, scouts and various organizations. We also hold a meeting each month which includes a featured presentation.
To learn more about our society, please click here or select from the tabs above or the 'Quick Links' on the left.
What's in the Sky Tonight - Monday, 30March2015
- Sun - Sunset occurs at 7:24 pm (MDT). Civil twilight ends at 7:48 pm; Astronomical twilight ends at 8:46 pm.
- Moon - Waxing gibbous Moon sets around 4:10 am (30Mar).
- Venus - fairly high in the western sky at dusk. Sets at 10:15 pm
- Mars - Below (and much dimmer than) Venus. Sets at 8:55 pm.
- Jupiter - High in the eastern sky at dusk. Sets at 4:30 am (31Mar). Jupiter's Giant Red Spot transits atound 10:25 pm.
- Saturn - In Scorpius. Rises around 11:50 pm
This Month's ASLC Meeting
The monthy ASLC meeting will be held on Friday, April 24th in room 141 (Main Branch, DACC) at 7:30 pm. The group usually gets together around 7 pm to talk about 'stuff' and socialize a bit. Business and upcoming events are discussed at 7:30. The presentation usually begins around 8 pm. Meetings are free and open to the public.
The presentation this month is tba.